Rain rain go away

As we arrived in Luang Prabang, the rain season has finally caught up to us :-(. We have tried to make the best of it; unfortunately, due  to the weather, we were unable to visit the town’s biggest attraction: Kuang Si Waterfall.  The Mekong River was brown due to all the rain, but we were fortunate enough to still enjoy the beautiful panorama. 

Our first evening here, we arrived at a beautiful guesthouse wih a great riverview. Unfortunately we soon learned that we were too far away from town; there were no nearby restaurants and the only forms of transportations were bikes or mopeds…. now can you imagine Ryan or I driving a moped? 

We decided the best course of action was to book a different place in town, and so we did. A tuk tuk driver took us there, approximately  a 20 minute ride.The place was full, and the host apologized for the computer glitch which allowed us to go through with the booking. He called his cousin, Eric, who also managed a guesthouse and promptly arranged accommodations and transportation for us.  Eric was also able to give us helpful information. 

 We soon discovered there was no running water! Apparently it gets shut off when there is excessive rain. As you can see, this was a very challenging day. We walked to town for dinner and shared a beer. 

Water was back on, yay!!!

The next am we woke up very early, but too late to watch the monks during giving of alms. We went to the morning market. The locals sold all sorts of things, from crabs, to live frogs, water snakes, fruits, vegetables. This experience was a bit much for me to handle :-(. Afterwards, Ryan had breakfast and we returned to the hotel for our workout, followed by a very long shower. There was finally some sunshine, and so we went to walk around town. 

Exit at morning market. 

The bamboo bridge was covered by the river, also due to the rain. However, we did get to try some very delicious Laotian food at Bamboo tree restaurant. The owner, Noy, was very friendly and welcoming. She explained the menu items and helped us select our meals, then she went into the kitchen to make it all. When the food was ready she came and explained every item and how Laotian’s eat the food. We tried the catfish, Laos vegetarian sampler, and lime soda. All were amazing. 

We continued walking around town; it was very sunny and humid.  We then went back to our room for a 2 hour study session…

And came back out around 4 pm to go pick up our laundry (it cost $2.50 !). Then we walked to Mount Phousi to try to watch the sunset, but the rain had returned. Nonetheless, we still had a beautiful view of the mountains. 

2 boys playing by Mount Phousi temple. 

Dinner followed at a swanky place called 525. However, there was no Laotian food there. But they had the most amazing cheesecake! Topped with mango and pineapple, the latter was our favorite.

Ryan likes his old fashion. 

The most amazing cheesecake! the lighter is pineapple  (our favorite). 

 Dinner was followed by a walk in the rain back to the hotel, in hopes the rain would dissipate overnight so that we could visit Kuang Si. 

Unfortunately, it was raining cats and dogs the next day. So we got dressed,  and tried some mangosteen  (soo yummy, it had almost the texture of butter).

 We brought our bags downstairs with plans to return to the hotel about 2 hours prior to our departure. And off into the rain we went. Tai, one of the hosts, gave us an umbrella, but despite it we still were soaked during our walk to get breakfast .

 Afterwards we  decided to study for a few hours at this great little cafe, and then walked back to pick up our bags and ride to the airport.

 Our flight to Vientiane was supposed to be 45 mins, we arrived in less than 30! Went to the hotel, S Park Design which was quite interesting. And then headed down to the restaurant/ bar for dinner. There was a boy band and they sang Ed Sheeran’s thinking out loud and Love yourself. 

Went to bed after, and woke up fairly early to arrange the day and squeeze as much of Vientiane sightseeing as possible. We began our workout regimen and got ready for a day of sightseeing!  Many many temples! 

We began at Wat Si Saket 

Then a quick selfie at Presidential Palace

And walked to Haw Pha Kew

Our driver Mr Ngo brought us to Siam riem temple. 

Then to the very curious Buddha Park, we had lots of fun exploring the sculptures here. We started by sharing an ice cream, and then climbing this apple shaped structure.

Ryan told me I should ask this guy for directions in hopes he would point us to the right way. 

The ice cream we shared. 

As you can imagine all of the sightseeing made us hungry, so Mr. Ngo took us to a Laotian restaurant,  the waitresses hardly spoke English,  as I tried to find phrases in our book, Ryan struggled to communicate with the girls and said “all right this isn’t working out”. 

We somehow managed to get our orders in, but received a larger portion of rice than we thought, it was still a great meal. 

Here is a selfie we took with the waitresses. All in all it was fun trying to communicate despite the language barrier.  

Alright, 2 more temples.

That Luang Stupa 


Of course we climbed to the top. 

Goodbye Mr Ngo!

And now we are off to Vietnam!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s